For many people, having a nice smile is something that is very important. Unfortunately, we are not all born with a perfect set of teeth. This can cause a lot of distress and self-esteem issues if it is something that is important to you.
A lot of people assume that Cosmetic Dentistry is reserved for the rich and famous. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Cosmetic Dentistry is for anyone that wants to improve the aesthetic appearance of their smile.
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic Dentistry refers to a Dental procedure that improves that aesthetic appearance of your teeth, gums and bite. The primary purpose is to achieve the patients desires smile. These procedures don’t focus so much of the functionality of teeth; however, functionality can improve with certain cosmetic procedures.
The most common procedures involve enhancing the colour, position, size, shape, alignment and overall appearance of a patients smile. There are a variety of procedures that can achieve this, which include:
- Crowns and Bridges: these are fixed prosthetic devices that are cemented onto existing teeth or implants by a dentist. Besides improving appearance and alignment, crowns and bridges are used to strengthen damaged teeth.
- Crown Lengthening: in some cases, teeth can be covered by excessive gum tissue. Crown Lengthening involves removing and sculpting gum tissue to achieve an aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Teeth Whitening: As the name suggest, teeth whitening is a cosmetic dental procedure that focuses primarily on whitening discoloured or stained teeth.
- Veneers: a veneer is a layer of material placed over a tooth, veneers improve the aesthetics of a smile and/or protect the tooth’s surface from damage.
- Inlays & Onlays: Dental inlays and onlays are used when old fillings need to be removed or replaced. A dental inlay is like a filling and fits inside the cusp tips (top edges) of the tooth. A dental onlay is more extensive and extends over the cusps of the treated tooth.
Is Cosmetic Dentistry for You?
Cosmetic Dentistry is for anyone that wants to improve the appearance of their teeth. Sometimes, people can feel self-conscious about their teeth, and reframe from smiling. Cosmetic Dentistry comes down to personal preference. If it is important to you, then we would recommend looking into procedures that can help you achieve your desired smile.